So far, I have overthought this topic into knots, started free writing and deleted each of the
3 4 paras…Of all the writing assignments, I thought this one would be easy but can’t make up my mind about the range it should cover…
Okay, here goes a list of things that I’ll have to figure out as I go along and others which I am happy I have done ~
1. Allow myself to do the things I like to do. Truly like to do. Even though they are healthy…like yoga
2. Stop forcing myself to like alcohol
3. Accept that I may have developed a taste for a few sorts though
4. Take a solo trip to some place without losing anything…limited edition wallets are very very hard to find
5. Understand that that’s why it was called a limited edition wallet and stop looking for that one!
6. Accept that I don’t and will never like high heels…
…And that it has nothing to do with the fact that I can’t stand in them without support
7. Accept that I will never be that woman with a different hairstyle each day or even on most days…
…Or wear white and not spill anything on it
…Or look put together with a fashionable bag in just the right style
…Or bother with more than 3 items of make-up, regardless of how many “5 minute make-up” and “make-up essentials” videos I watch
8. Understand that my dad’s and my taste in my boyfriends/ potential partners will NEVER match…even though it’s a complete toss up as to which is worse…
9. Accept and appreciate the fact that I know what I am willing to do for love or money
10. That done, work on not considering dating to be such a chore and learn how to negotiate a raise
11. Learn to cook 3 favourite dishes and make a perfect coffee soufflé
12. Understand that any list of “should’s by 30” is to be hopped, skipped and binned
13. Turn a complete somersault…without throwing anything out of joint, breaking anything or generally hurting myself
14. Forgive myself for missing my friend’s wedding for a crap sudden important, opportunity of the year, business trip that didn’t materialize till few days after.
15. Stop begging her to get pregnant because the world needs more people like her
…and so that I can visit her when she’s had the baby to make up for missing her wedding
16. Travel…the way I want to and when I want to
17. Seriously consider whether I will ever use that expensive camera I want to buy – frequently?
18. Acknowledge the nagging feeling that my friend is just using spit shine when she promises me a road trip in US if I fly all the way to the west coast, as a probability instead of doubt.
…Especially since, neither of us has a license to drive there
19. Book tickets for that road trip with her
Because even though we need to take care,
‘Coz there’s so much more to do, to bitch about and so much to share,
In spite of your dubious and my barely existent driving skills, you know you just have to holler & I’ll go anywhere
20. Make memories to treasure, experience each moment in full and capture a few
21. Dare to be myself. Completely, thoroughly and unapologetically
Btw, the credit for the fantastic header photo of ‘Arizona near the Black Mesa’, goes to Phillip Capper, https://www.flickr.com/photos/flissphil/6341843, who isn’t aware of my existence and has nothing to do with anything I say or write.